Interested in being a part of one of america's oldest artist cooperatives?
Baton Rouge Gallery - center for contemporary art ("BRG") is a professional, non-profit, contemporary art gallery, founded in 1966. When it first opened its doors, its 12 artist members represented some of the most respected visual artists in the region. Today, the same is true, though its artist membership has grown to include nearly 60 artists working in a wide array of media.
One of the many things that sets BRG apart from other organizations in the region is that its artist membership is endowed with the ability to have a strong voice in how the organization responds to the changing landscape of contemporary art nationally and locally. Many artistic decisions, ranging from which special exhibitions to host to which artists are invited to join the gallery, are made by the existing artist members. This allows gallery visitors to get a different perspective than they might experience at other major institutions or commercial galleries.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: SEPTEMBER 28, 2017
APPLICATION PROCESSING FEE: $5
CLICK HERE TO START YOUR APPLICATION (VIA ENTRYTHINGY)
SELECT BENEFITS OF ARTIST MEMBERSHIP
- Exhibition opportunities at the gallery, located within BREC's beautiful and historic City Park (1515 Dalrymple Drive).
- Artist members receive 60% of all sales of their work (whether sale occurs during an exhibition or part of a special project).
- Artist members have the opportunity to help shape the direction of the organization, from assisting in curation of the artist membership to determining which special exhibitions are hosted at BRG.
- Representation on the gallery's website and the opportunity to have work available for purchase on the site.
ARTIST MEMBER REQUIREMENTS
- Artist members pay annual dues of $100. Opportunities are presented to offset this cost, presenting artists the opportunity to pay no annual dues.
- Artist members are required to exhibit in a normal month-long exhibition (typically featuring 2- 5 artists at a time) every three years. During years when artist members do not present work in such an exhibition, they are required to have at least one piece included in the gallery's annual group exhibition (typically held in November).
- Artist members must submit to a review by the artist membership's Screening Committee every five (5) years in order to retain membership.
- Applications for artist membership are reviewed once a year. Digital applications are accepted online while physical applications and materials are received between noon and 6:00 p.m., Tuesday through Sunday. Applicants will be notified of the Committee’s decision approximately one month after the application deadline.
- No student work or work executed under other supervision will be considered and should not be submitted.
- Professional experience must reflect evidence of participation in professional juried exhibitions, awards, commissions, grants, fellowships, etc.
All artists over the age of 18 are eligible to apply for BRG artist membership.
Baton Rouge Gallery will provide equal opportunity for consideration to all persons who apply for artist membership regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, or veteran status. In addition, BRG will provide reasonable accommodations for artists with disabilities.
Artists are encouraged to apply online at http://www.batonrougegallery.org/call-to-artists/. Completed applications will include:
- Ten to twenty digital images of current work with relevant information (.jpg format preferred)
- Artist statement (.pdf or .doc format)
- Artist bio (.pdf or .doc format)
- Current resume / CV (in .doc or .pdf format) which should include the artist's website address, any relevant employment, professional affiliations, education, exhibition history, awards, honors, fellowships, works in public collections, commission work, publications your work has appeared in, and any other relevant information
Artists wishing to apply via mail may send their application materials on a CD or USB drive (along with a check for the $5 application processing fee) to: Baton Rouge Gallery, 1515 Dalrymple Drive, Baton Rouge, LA 70808.
All artists applying are required to deliver two works (in the same condition they would be exhibited in) to the gallery on or before the application deadline for the Committee's review.
Applicants will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Quality and consistency of craftsmanship
- Ability to maintain a consistent conceptual focus within a body of work
- Quality of presentation regarding resume, digital images and actual work
- Professional experience
For more information, contact us at:
1515 Dalrymple Drive
Baton Rouge, LA 70808